The Institute of Bankers of Sri Lanka (IBSL) conducts open examinations in Banking & Finance for the academic programs namely Intermediate in Applied Banking & Finance (IABF) and Diploma in Banking & Finance (DABF) and offers Professional Qualifications to the students who have successfully completed the examinations. The IABF consists of six subjects including four compulsory subjects and two optional out of four. The Diploma level – DABF, consists of seven subjects including four compulsory subjects and three optional subjects out of four.
Examinations are held twice a year in March & September. Examinations are conducted in Colombo and other outstation centres in provincial towns subject to the availability of candidates.
Registered Membership -
Candidates who apply for examinations conducted by the IBSL should be a registered member of the IBSL and maintain Valid Membership by payment of Annual Membership Subscription Fees to sit for the respective examination.
Mode of Examination -
Mode of examination for the subjects in the IABF & DABF is a closed book written examination based on a question paper of three hours.
Language Media -
Exams are conducted in Sinhala, Tamil and English medium. Candidates aspiring to proceed to the UK based degree programs are required to sit for the IABF / DABF examination in the English medium only.
Mailing of Applications -
Candidates are advised to submit their examination applications with proof of payment of fees to reach Director Examinations, IBSL at No. 5, Mile Post AV, Colombo 03 on or before the specific deadline.
Late Applications -
Late applications will be accepted up to 14 calendar days after the closing date of applications subject to a 10% surcharge on the total exam fees payable.
*The Institute will not accept liability for any delay / inconvenience arising from incorrect / incomplete payments, entry forms and delays caused by the postal or any other delivery systems. Institute will not be liable for any damage or loss arising from applications not received at the Institute on or before the closing date.
Withdrawal of Applications -
Candidates may withdraw the examination application within 21 calendar days from the closing date of applications subject to an administrative fee 25% from the Exams fees paid.
Conduct of Examinations -
Admission cards are issued within three weeks before the examination. If the admission card is not received 07 days before an examination, you may request for an E-Admission Card. You request could be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org
INTERMEDIATE IN APPLIED BANKING & FINANCE (IABF)
Optional Subjects (Two to be Passed)
Survey of Financial System
Principles of Economics
Non-Banking Financial Institutions
Financial Clients Management
Introduction to Banking and Financial Law
Business Mathematics and Statistics
85 - 100
A - Distinction
75 - 84
B - Merit
65 - 74
C - Credit
45 - 64
S - Pass
0 - 44
F - Fail
DIPLOMA IN APPLIED BANKING & FINANCE (DABF)
Optional Subjects (Two to be Passed)
Economics of Money and Monetary Policy
Financial Institutions Management
Financial Markets Operations
International Trade and Finance
The examination results are released;
• Ten weeks after the final date of the examination
• Through the IBSL Web site
• To each candidate by regular mail
Examination Fee (Per Subject)
Payments for member enrolment, subscription and exam fees can be deposited to below bank accounts.
Bank of Ceylon
Liberty Plaza Branch
309 1001 82536729
Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC
Hatton National Bank PLC
Sampath Bank PLC
National Savings Bank
Partial exemptions (Subjects) IABF Examination
- Selected subject exemptions from IABF will be considered only for the major subject of degrees and other professional qualifications recognized by the IBSL if that subject is offered in IABF.
- No exemptions from any subjects in DABF will be given.
Application for Exemptions
- Applications for exemptions should be made in writing, at least 45 days before the closing date of applications for the prospective examination and should be supported by evidence of the payment of exemption fees and documentary evidence in support of educational qualifications, attested by a bank manager or an attorney at Law.
- Late applications for exemptions will be considered subject to a surcharge of 10% of the normal exemption fees; provided such applications are submitted not later than 30 days before the closing date of the prospective examination.
- Exemption Fee per subject in IABF - LKR 5000.00